- Make Ten - combinations of 10 with two numbers (ex.: 8 + 2)
- Plus 1 - any number plus one (ex.: 1 + 8)
- Plus 2 - any number plus two (ex.: 3 + 2)
- Doubles - any number plus itself (ex.: 5 + 5)
- Near Doubles - any number close to a double (ex.: 5 + 6)
- Plus 10 - any number added to 10 (ex.: 3 + 10)
- Plus 9 - any number added to 9 (ex.: 3 + 9)
We will also be using “Combinations Cards” to help students practice. In addition to using combinations frequently, students will focus on the numbers and relationships involved. That way, if students forget combinations, they can still solve the problem quickly and efficiently. For example, as a clue to help solve 5 + 8, your child might write, “think 5 + 5 + 3”.
When your child has mastered a set of Combinations Club cards, a new set will be sent home. Please add the new set of cards to the previous set of cards, and keep practicing. Write any clues on the front of the cards that may help remember the combinations. Along with that, your child will get to sign his/her name onto the Combinations Club Graffitti Wall. So go ahead and ask your child which brick he/she has signed thus far.